Monday, May 3, 2010

It's Not About The Spoon


I’m a big Everybody Loves Raymond fan. There was an episode, last week, Deborah snuck over to Marie’s kitchen in the middle of the night, under the pretense of returning a spoon. She bumps into Robert, the NYC cop, and tries to sell him on her version of why she’s there at 2 a.m.
“In my career, I’ve been to a lot of break-ins, and, one thing is for sure . . . it’s never about the spoon,” he said.

Kind of like all the hoo-ha that’s going on over the Silver City Townhomes project – and by project I don’t mean it in the Cabrini-Green sense of the word, I mean it more like in the sense of an endeavor, like an art project, or a Science Fair project. Project with a small p.

When I first heard about this – I remember my disbelief, because, well, something this cool in my neighborhood? Finally. After all the meetings. All the blockwatches. The spring clean-ups, were all beginning to have a positive effect. And we were going to have these very nice, very green (I’m talking rooftop gardens) town houses built on a stretch of cracked, neglected asphalt.

And, that’s where the problem started. On and about that asphalt. See, to some people (me) that asphalt is an eyesore. Nothing more that a dried scab. To others? It’s a meeting place, an open and inviting place where children can run free . . . just like we did back in the good old days before bicycle helmets.

There are 2 full basket ball courts and something that passes for tennis courts. Those courts will become new and improved, which has some people’s undies in a bundle because, I guess new and improved is a bad thing. There’s something about old and used and the patina of broken bottles and litter.

And then, there’s a problem with the Who. Not the band, but the people behind the project (again, small “p”). Layton Boulevard West Neighbors – an organization started by the School Sisters of Saint Francis and we all know what a bunch of selfish, power hungry people they are! Yeah. They’ll stop at nothing to do woo you with their Franciscan values . . . here’s just some of the bad things they’re into:
* Implementing peace education programs for children and adults;
* Supporting immigration legislation and just treatment of immigrants;
* Rehabilitating victims of violence and neglect;
* Promoting conscious stewardship of the environment through education;
* Growing organic and herbal gardens;
* Helping children who are victims of violence and abuse;
* Promoting projects for marginalized people, especially women and children;
* Raising consciousness through "socially responsible" investments;
* Fostering equal treatment of employees in the workplace.

See? What did I tell you.

The neighbors whose lives will be affected by this are upset over the way they’ve been treated – no one bothered to ask them how they felt about it. Well, there were meetings, but only 2 and no one was allowed to ask any questions. Typical. Oh, I suppose the neighbors could have asked questions, but, undoubtedly they were too afraid to get whacked by a School Sister wielding a concealed ruler.

You want to start something? I have two words for you, my friend: Affordable. Housing. Them’s fightin’ words. I think I can simplify this with logic – what I gather is at the heart of the anti-townhomes sentiment.

Prostitutes + drug dealers = low wage earners.
Low wage earners = low income.
Low income = affordable housing.
Affordable Housing = prostitutes + drug dealers.
I guess low wage earners can’t be landscapers, or teachers, or anyone else.
What’s really at the root of all the discontent? Is it that feelings were hurt? Basketball courts will be moved? The town homes will make the rest of the neighborhood look shabby? They’ll bring in “those people?”

I don’t get it. You know what I think? I think Robert Barone was right. It’s never about the spoon.

To get more information on the Silver City Town homes, see the link list on the right.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete