Saturday, May 8, 2010

Auction Hero


The 3rd annual Mining for Silver Dinner and Auction was last night at The Rice Palace and if you weren’t there, then you missed out on what was a really, really fun time, and I’m not just saying that because I was on the committee. I’m saying that because of how I feel this morning – bone-tired and a tad hung over – but, basking in the glow of what I think was a job well done.

Not only did the donors come through – we had 76 silent auction items and 7 live auction items – so did our auctioneer, Mr. Dylan Out-Of-The-Box Bolin. Check out his website. I put a link up for it to make your lives that much easier.

His job description for the evening was to “. . . separate you from your money . . .” which was difficult since on that particular day, Wall Street took a nose dive, but Dylan managed to pry the cash from the audience’s cold dead hands. How? He did it with his surgically sharp wit.

He started off with a little story about how he and his wife had recently become home owners, and how that brought to the fore the importance of the neighborhood . . . and how, since he and his wife signed so many papers – enough to make the recently passed Health Care Bill look like a leaflet, he has morphed into That Guy, the one who is a little anal retentive about lawn care issues, especially that no-man’s land of your lawn, that little strip of sod between the sidewalk and the curb, which, by the way, is property of the Forestry Division, which I would have thought involved more shrubbery and a better habitat for furry woodland creatures instead of weeds and a few casually tossed, empty 40 ouncers.

He added that extra something that was lacking in auctions past . . . I did the duty last year, and I thought surely it would launch my stand-up career, instead it was my David Letterman-Academy-Awards moment. Ouch.

They are still tallying up the numbers, but, how ever they come in, this year’s auction was a hit, not a miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment